Tuesday, 25 December 2012

It's Chrrrrriiiiiiiistmaaaaaaasssss!!!


Everyone in my house is now in bed and I am starting to get sleepy but love that I can sit and think about my family in the present and also about my childhood which such fond memories.

I was all ready to go out delivering presents to my family members today when I got a phone call from where I worked asking if I was able to help them out because people who should have been working had not been able to make it to work.   

Ready to deliver presents today
 My home town is about an hour’s drive from where I work but I happily obliged and drove back to work.  Although I would have loved to have delivered presents to my family the job I was asked to do for work today was to deliver gifts and food hampers to the children we work with and their families who are in need of additional help this Christmas.  I know my family would be more than happy for me to help others rather than visit them and although it is not my usual job within work, I love working with children and their families and being able to wish them a Happy Christmas.

I got back home and people were in the house ready and raring to go with our own little Christmas Eve traditions.

Tonight has been a great little family night.  It’s been filled with our usual family traditions.  One of our traditions that have been in my family since I can remember was introduced by my granddad about 9-10 years ago.  Without fail we order in Chinese takeout and have a big family feast together.  My grandparents stay overnight and we bring all our presents into the living room and put the presents for everyone in piles under the tree.  We don’t have any small children who still believe in Santa that are in the house on Christmas Eve so we sadly don’t have that big build-up of Santa coming to visit like we did when me and my step brothers were younger.

When I was a child every year without fail we would sit and write letters to Santa and leave them on top of the fire place and would leave Santa a glass of milk and a mince pie and then leave a carrot for the reindeer.  Then the next morning we would go downstairs and see that Santa had visited and left us all lots of presents but he had also written all three of us a letter each.  We would be amazed that the food and drink we left for Santa and his reindeer had been eaten and really proud that Santa had enjoyed what we had left him. We would then read the letters before we started opening presents.

I used to love getting letters from Santa and it was only as I got older that I started to realise that the handwriting in our letters looked very much like my Grandma’s haha.

Regardless of how your spending tomorrow, whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope you have a wonderful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment