Friday, 1 March 2013

Hapus Dydd Gwyl Dewi...


Hapus Dydd Gwyl Dewi

Today is St David's Day! St David is the Patron Saint of Wales!

Anyone reading my blog will know I am proud of my Welsh heritage so I couldn't let this day go by without writing a blog post.

I wrote a blog post a year ago about St David's day and I've just looked at it and I'm of the same opinion as I was last year...where has the time gone already??  January was a relatively quick month but it dragged a little but then February has just whizzed by and now we are in March.  That means it's only 9 months until my birthday haha.

A few quick facts about Wales:

Wales is known as Cymru (pronounced Kum-ree)

The number of sheep in Wales is three times greater than the population of Welsh People

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch is the name of a town in North Wales and is believed to be the longest place/town name in the world and translates into "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio’s of the red cave"

Some famous people from Wales include Richard Burton, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Shirley Bassey.

The letters K, Q, V and Z do not appear in the Welsh alphabet at all

Wales is believed to have more castles per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

Only 21% of the entire Welsh population of Wales can speak the native language (me included haha)

Wales is the only part of the UK not to be represented on the Union Flag (Union Jack)

The Welsh Flag is:


The Daffodil - The National Flower of Wales

The Leek - National Symbol of Wales

Red Dragon - Another National Symbol of Wales

Happy Welsh Girl! AKA...ME haha

 
I hope everyone has had a great day and week and enjoys the weekend :-)

2 comments:

  1. Cool, I learned something new today, thanks!
    XO, Rachel
    With Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. new follower from Aloha Friday :)
    Nice blog!!

    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete