Saturday, 20 April 2013

Six Word Saturday!!

I haven't participated in this for a couple of weeks but it's Saturday so here I am...


Yesterday was the day!

After weeks of waiting I finally got to have my laser eye surgery.

However it was not without it hitches and problems.

I was pretty nervous to start with because I have had so much time to think about it since my initial assessment and consultation.  My friend who was driving me there and I had some lunch and then did a little bit of shopping before we headed to my appointment.

I had my scans and tests done again so they had the most accurate readings and prescriptions and I had a chat with the nurses and they put me at ease when I asked the questions like "Am I going to go blind?".
I then got called to meet my surgeon and asked the same question! He also put me at ease and I was ready to go...and then came the sucker punch..."I have some bad news, the laser has broken down and we are waiting for someone to come and repair it".

This could seriously only happen to me haha!

Then I got taken to another room by the surgery manager who explained to me in more detail what had happened and how they were waiting for an engineer was due to arrive.  It should have taken him an hour to arrive, it took 3 hours for the engineer to arrive.

As I was sat waiting in the waiting room with my friend a guy came in and asked if I was waiting for surgery and if it was the first time of having the surgery.  I said it was and he said he was there for the 4th time because he had surgery for one thing to be corrected but it did something to other parts of his vision and needed further surgery...grrrrrrreat...just what I needed to hear.  First the laser is broken down, now someone is sat there saying he was back because something went wrong haha.

At this point there was still no sign of the engineer, another person came and sat near us and she was also here for further surgery because she had had it done 2 years ago and she was still having problems...This was not boding well for me and my nervousness.

After five hours of waiting, the engineer managed to fix the laser, there were a few people ahead of me.  There were a group of us sat around in the waiting room together chatting away laughing about the fact that the laser had broken down and how we would come out afterwards and if we would be OK.  After a few people had been in, it was time for me to go in.

I walked into the room, took my glasses off, had a hair net put on and some cotton pads over my ears.  I laid down and had one of the nurses clean my eye lids and around my eyes.  She then put some anaesthetic drops in my eyes, cleaned my eyes again and then the surgeon came at me!!

The type of surgery I had was Intralase Wavefront Lasik surgery which is the top surgery that the company offered and involved a flap being created on my eye so I had to have my eye clamped open and then a suction ring attached to my eye to allow for the laser to cut the flap.  That lasted about 15 seconds and it was really weird at that point after it had been done because I could see the flap being lifted off my eye because it went blurry.  The same was done to my left eye.

Then I was moved to the other laser and the surgeon put some form of wash all over my eye.  I wasn't expecting that and was a bit of a shock when I felt some watery solution run down my face and back of my neck.  I had my eye clamped open again and was asked to focus on an orange flashing light while the laser did its thing.  After that was done the surgeon put the flap back over my eye.  That was really weird because although I couldn't feel anything I could see the surgeon using what I described to friends and family as a PVA glue spreader we used in art class at school to smooth the flap over my eye.

I described my left eye as the intelligent eye because I squirmed a little bit when that eye was being treated...but that's because it knew what was happening / coming.

It took about 15 minutes from entering the treatment room to leaving the room.  When it was over I was surprised how quick it was over.

I honestly didn't feel any pain, there was some pressure applied when they were creating the flap but other than that it wasn't too bad.

I was taken into a post-treatment room and the surgeon checked my eyes and said I was fine and then the surgery manager took me into another side room, my friend joined me and listened to the advice and things that I had to do.  This was because she was telling me how soon my eyes were going to start stinging and running like I was peeling the worlds largest onion and feel grit in my eye and that all my eyes would want to do was close.

Boy oh boy was she right.  Even throughout the conversation we were having about my eye drops and rather attractive goggles I have to sleep in at the moment, my eyes started to water, close, hurt etc.  I'm so glad my friend was with me to listen because I simply couldn't concentrate on it.

As I was walking out the artificial lighting really hit me.  I was walking out I was seriously struggling and I had to walk out the shopping centre with sunglasses 9PM!!! I was so embarrassed especially as I started going all hot, weak and thought I was going to pass out.  I went and stood outside to try and get some air and regain my composure and I have never felt so out of it in my life.  People walking past me must have thought I was such a weirdo...I'd just come out of a shopping mall in sunglasses when it was dark and stood outside in the dark with the sunglasses on and crouched over as though I was drunk and feeling ill.

I was so glad to get in the car.  I struggled all the way home and had to walk around with my sunglasses on.  All I could manage was taking some pain killers and then going to bed.

My night time get up was a pair of goggles that I have to sleep in for 7 nights.  This is to stop me from touching or rubbing my eyes throughout the night.  I wasn't sure how I was going to manage wearing them but surprisingly I slept pretty much all the night through.

The very attractive goggles that I have to wear at night

The eye drops I have to put in my eyes 4 times per day for a week
I woke up this morning and I was fine, I could open my eyes, I could see with no problems.
I attended my post-op check up this morning and I read the letters on the wall and the consultant told me I had read out the bottom line far too confidently so he gave me an even smaller one which I could read no problem.
He told me I was fine to drive because I was able to read 4 times smaller than the driving standard and that I was fine to watch TV, use a laptop etc.  He also told me that just 12 hours after having my treatment I already had 20/20 vision. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! hahaha.

I have some bruising to my eyes now which are red blood lines around the Iris / Pupil area, this is from the suction ring applied to my eye to cut the flap.  The blood / bruising will go down over the next couple of weeks.  I look a little evil right now haha.

It's only been in the last couple of hours that I have been finding myself going to my nose to push my glasses up only to realise that they aren't there haha.

I am however so happy with the results after my surgery. After the weeks of waiting, and the hours of waiting yesterday the actual procedure was over very quickly and the results are great just 24 hours after the actual surgery.


  1. Glad to hear it went so well. Dropping by from 6WS.

  2. Oooh, you're brave! I'm terrified of the idea of having anything near my eyes.
    I have anxiety attacks, so that walking out and having to regain my composure thing is more common than I can say. It's sad when society causes us to think of this as the actions of a "weirdo." There is such a horrific stigma on mental illness.

  3. I have to say, I'm a little jealous and a little nervous. I am going to have the surgery this summer. I am so tired of contacts I could scream and I told my husband that I'm not waiting any longer. Your story was comforting and I'm glad to hear that only have 24 hours you are good to roll. It is comforting to hear.