Sunday, 16 February 2014

The...umm...British....Guide to the Olympics!?!?!

Pretty embarrassing that I haven't posted on here for about 6 weeks but work and life in general has taken over since the New Year.  It's been a very busy time and I have lost count of the number of posts I have started recently but have lost interest in completing it or have simply been too tired to finish it. 

My aim today is to finish this post because it wouldn't be right if I didn't post about this...





 I LOVE the Olympics!!! Doesn't matter whether it's the summer ones or the winter ones I love it when there is this amount of sport on TV especially when it's such a range of different sports. Some people might be reading this thinking but you're British you're not known for your sporting excellence and they would be right to some extent.  But while our medals might be few and far between I cannot ignore our amazing ability in some sports....

For example...in the summer Olympics we are pretty awesome at riding a bike (Sir Chris Hoy and Sir Bradley Wiggins to name just a couple), we are or at least were great at rowing a boat (notably Sir Steve Redgrave), track and field events (Jessica Ennis-Hill and Mo Farah)...OK OK I'm now running out of people and events...

In the Winter Olympics...well what better sport is there for the British to be dominant in than this??....




 That's right...we are British so sliding down the ice on a shiny silver tea tray is the perfect sport for us!!  After all we drink a lot of tea in the UK (according to The Tea Website us Brits drink 165,000,000 cups of tea every single day.

We won gold in the Women's Skeleton Bobsled again this Olympics with Lizzy Yarnold being victorious and Amy Williams winning gold in Vancouver 2010. So Whooooooop Yaaaaaaay Lizzy!!

We don't seem too bad at curling either...granted we haven't won a gold medal since the women's team in Salt Lake City in 2002 but so far the British teams are doing pretty good (although I'm glad I didn't take up the offer of a bet from my Canadian friend because both the men's and women's teams lost to Canada this week).  Again this is a sport we should excel at...why??? because we are a nation that doesn't know how to respond to the wintery conditions of snow and ice on our streets...so when we get a light dusting of snow or ice our wee little countries pretty much grind to a halt haha...aaaand I know plenty of people who struggle with the ice and end up falling and sliding...cue the reason we should be awesome at curling...sliding down the ice holding onto whatever we can find to keep us steady is the perfect practice for curling...right??




I make fun at our "Britishness" (not quite a word but work with me on this one) but in reality I am always so impressed with athletes who make it to the Olympics...I like to think I'm a good snowboarder but my definition of good snowboarder for me is when I make it down the slopes in one piece...I think I'm successful at ice skating when I've made it once round the rink without holding onto the side AND I didn't fall down (wobbling around the rink is still classed as successful haha)...so in reality I'm in awe of the athletes that make these sports look so easy!!

I have been trying to watch as many different sports as possible and I've even managed a couple of afternoons or even full days working from home since the Olympics started, I've even gone to the extreme of going on to the BBC website on my iPhone at work and watching the curling while I "work" haha.

I'm now off to watch more Olympics...

No comments:

Post a Comment